The Sukreswar Temple is an important Shiva temple in the state of Assam in India and was constructed in 1744 by Ahom King Pramatta Singha. King Rajeswar Singha who also promoted the cause of the Saiva cult made financial provisions for the Sukreswar Temple in 1759.
Originally dating back to the 18th century, the temple is believed to have the largest Shiva lingam or phallic emblem in India. The Kalika Purana identifies the hillock as Hastigiri hills due to its shape like the hump of an elephant. Constructed by the Ahom ruler Pramatta Singha in 1744 AD, the Sukreswar temple is located on the southern bank of the mighty Brahmaputra. The adjacent embankment is used for holy bathing and performing rituals. It is believed that the dead gain peace if the post - death rituals are performed here. A flight of steps lead down from the temple complex to the river. Saraighat Bridge forms the backdrop and the river provides a magnificent view of sunset