Shri Shantadurga Temple is a large temple complex 33 km from Panaji at the foothill of Kavalem village in Ponda Taluka, Goa, India. A small laterite mud shrine was built and the deity was installed here.The mud-shrine was converted into a beautiful temple whose foundation stone was laid in 1730 and the temple was completed in 16 century and renovated in 1966.
The original temple at Quelossim in Salsete was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1566. The goddess was shifted to Kavalem and worship was continued there. The site on which the original Temple of Shantadurga stood at Quelossim is known as "Deoolbhata" and it is in the possession of the Temple Committee. The current temple was constructed during the reign of Maratha ruler Chattrapati Shahu of Satara in about 1738 A.D. Naroram Mantri originally from Kochara village in the Vengurla Taluka, was a Mantri in Shahu's Court at Satara around 1723. He obtained finances to construct the new temple for the goddess from Shahu. The temple construction started around 1730 . Due to his efforts, the village of Kavalem was bequeathed to the Temple by Shahu in 1739.
It is a fusion of Indo-Portuguese architecture. Its pyramidical shape 'shikaras' rising on the roofs of the facade and the 'Sabhamandap' , its roman-arched windows, some of which have the stained-glass window panes of deep red, yellow, blue, green colours, its chandeliers, its gate posts, balustraded flat dome, the maroon-peach-white colour paint of the temple gives the temple a serene beautiful look. The highlight of the temple is its golden palanquin in which the deity is carried on festive occasions.